Monday, December 8, 2008

Gatewood Ridin'

Got a chance to ride with the All About Bikes Chesapeake shop crew on their weekly Sunday morning moutain bike ride. The destination this week was Gatewood in Newport News. I met the crew of Jeff, Larry, Alex, Dennis (Alex's dad), Todd and Keisha about 9am at the trailhead and headed out soon after.
Gatewood doesn't offer the technical sections or climbs of YRSP, New Quarter, Freedom or other Williamsburg trail but it's closer to home and it offers some nice flowing tight switchbacks, logs and some small climbs to improve my sucky off-road bike handling skills. The presence of roots will make sure you pick a good line. This trail begs to be ridden on a single speed, which Alex had.
After a bit of riding, the gang headed to the 'gravity cavity'. A 6' drop with a jump on the other end. After 'hitting it' once, I watched as the rest of the crew catch some air. After some tips from Jeff, I was able to get both 29'er wheels off the ground - a feat for this roadie. We then took a quick pace on the trails back to the cars.
If you get the chance and don't feel like driving the extra 20 minutes to the James City trails, give Gatewood a shot. It's next to the Mariner's Museum and by Christopher Newport University. I know that when I race Casey Crit this coming Spring, I'll have the Niner with me to hit Gatewood after the races.
Thanks to the AAB shop for showing me another off-road trail to ride.

No comments: